Shillong was the Centre of erstwhile Assam State which reduced to paper sub-centre after Assam shifted the Centre to newly constructed building at Guwahati mid 1966.
- To promote the general advancement of engineering and their application
- Grant certificate of competency for practice of Engineering Profession
- Arrange and promote for settlement of disputes in Engineering by arbitration and act as or nominate arbitrators
- Confer to the Government and other bodies the views regarding matters directly or indirectly affecting the Engineering profession
- Promote study of Engineering through R & D activities and grants
- Encourage elevate and recognise the technical knowledge and practice of individuals and organizations through scholarships, awards and other benefaction